Research InterestsVirtual RealityMixed realityFabricationTangible User Interfaces3D User Interfaces
Open Thesis Topics
In this thesis you will investigate virtual object deformations through the use of tangible proxy objects in VR. This requires the implementation of a deformable physical prototype (e.g., bendable, twistable, etc.) which acts as a counterpart for several virtual objects. The goal of this thesis is the creation of tangible proxies providing realistic haptic sensations in VR validated through a user study.
This work will mainly focus on implementing a prototype. Thus, solid programming (C#, Unity3D) and/or hardware skills (Arduino) are necessary. In addition, a user study may be carried out to evaluate the prototype.
- Read the following papers    (might require VPN)
- Be familiar or get familiar with the concept of tangible interfaces 
- Background or interest in Virtual Reality
- Experience with Unity3D, 3D printing and/or Arduino
- Completed HCI and/or Physical Computing lecture and ideally already attended at least one seminar at our chair
How to apply
Please send me an email with the following pieces of information (if you do not answer every point, your application will not be considered):
- When you plan to start the thesis
- When you plan to finish the thesis
- A short motivational statement (max 0.5 pages) why this topic is interesting for you
- Your transcript of records and your CV
Open B.Sc. / M.Sc. Thesis Topics
If you are interested in doing a Bachelor's or Master's thesis in my area of interest, feel free to contact me. Please check the open topics at the top of this page beforehand (if there are any).
Reviewer: CSCW 2021 Full papers, CHI 2021 Full Papers, CSCW 2020 Full papers, CHI 2020 Late-Breaking-Reports, INTERACT 2019 Full papers, DIS 2019 Work-In-Progress, CHI 2019 Late-Breaking-Reports, ISS 2018 Posters, SUI 2018 Full papers, CSCW 2018 Posters, HRI 2018 Late-Breaking-Reports
PC: TEI'21 WiP