Practical Phase / Internship
The one-semester practical phase comprises a professional internship and an accompanying seminar. The internship needs to cover topics from the domain of media informatics or other relevant related domains like computer science. The duration of the internship is at least 14 weeks with a typical workload of 40 hours per week. The internship is awarded 20 ungraded credit points. Additionally, you need to take an according seminar that is awarded 5 graded credit points.
For all administrational issues concerning the practical phase, you can contact Pascal Lessel. In the following, this person is called the "internship contact person".
The evaluation of the practical phase is done
- formally. You need to submit an official document verifying the internship.
- by a colloquium (see section Seminar below) on the internship before the end of the following semester within the scope the practical phase seminar.
To pass the seminar accompanying the practical phase, there are the following requirements:
- Attending at least 3 other seminar talks
- Giving a 30 minute presentation about the internship. This presentation should introduce the company, as well as the work you have done. The presentation is supposed to close with a short summary and what you liked about the internship and what not.
Three important changes:
A) Because of many students that came late to the presentations (and besides missing a lot from the talk also disturbe the speaker) we want you to be on time! If you miss more than 5 minutes, we thus will not count your participation for this talk.
B) As many of our students are not German-speaking, it is highly advisable to prepare the talk in English. Please write a mail to the internship contact person if there is a good reason why you need to give the talk in German.
C) Please be in the presentation room 15 minutes before your talk and setup your system. We want to start punctually. For this, drop by at the office of the internship contact person (~20 minutes before the talk). In case this person is absent, go to Iris Lambrecht and tell her, that you were unnable to find the former. If Iris is also unavailable, please contact any member of the chair, to receive a key and tell them, that someone should attend your talk (this is just a fail save that should never happen).
To choose a timeslot for your presentation, please contact the internship contact person with 5 suggestions of possible dates. After the room and the date is clear (you receive this information from the contact person a well), please write a mail to Maximilian Altmeyer (email@example.com) with Iris Lambrecht in CC and add the following information (please follow this format):
Tite/Title: [Add the title of the thesis]
Typ des Vortrags/Type of Talk: Internship-Talk
Referent/Speaker: [Add your name]
Uhrzeit und Datum/Time and date: [Add the time and date; time, date and room will be provided by Iris Lambrecht]
Raum des Vortrags/Room: [Add the location where the talk will be given; time, date and room will be provided by Iris Lambrecht]
Kurzzusammenfassung/Abstract: [Provide a short abstract of the talk]
The talk will be added to the calender "Internship" (see below).
We use only this calendar to announce the practical phase seminar talks. There will be NO announcements concerning any talks via the mailing lists in the future.
So please use one of the following options to keep you updated:
- If you have an Google Account, you can add the calendars to yours. Then you can also activate mail notifications to be automatically informed on updates.
- If not (and you do not want to create one) you could also always check the UMTL webpage
Further information and regulations
Companies that already accepted students or having open positions for internships