Practical Phase / Internship
The one-semester practical phase comprises a professional internship and an accompanying seminar. The internship needs to cover topics from the domain of media informatics or other relevant related domains like computer science. The duration of the internship is at least 14 weeks with a typical workload of 40 hours per week. The internship is awarded 20 ungraded credit points. Additionally, you need to take an according seminar that is awarded 5 graded credit points.
For all administrational issues concerning the practical phase, you can contact the representative for the practical phase (contact information below).
Scope, Topic and company are suggested by the student and need to be accredited by the representative for the practical phase.
The evaluation of the practical phase is done
- formally by the representative for the practical phase. You need to submit an official document verifying the internship.
- by a colloquium (see section Seminar below) on the internship before the end of the following semester within the scope the practical phase seminar.
During the practical phase, you can contact the representative for the practical phase for issues concerning the internship.
To pass the seminar accompanying the practical phase, there are the following requirements:
- Attending at least 3 other seminar talks
- Giving a 30 minute presentation about the internship. This presentation should introduce the company, as well as the work you have done. The presentation is supposed to close with a short summary and what you liked about the internship and what not.
To choose a timeslot for your presentation, please contact Iris Lambrecht (firstname.lastname@example.org) with 5 suggestions of possible dates. After the room and the date is clear, please write a mail to Christian Lander (email@example.com) with Iris Lambrecht in CC and add the following information (please follow this format):
Tite/Title: [Titel der Arbeit ergänzen - Add the title of the thesis]
Typ des Vortrags/Type of Talk: Internship-Talk
Referent/Speaker: [Eigenen Namen einfügen - Add your name]
Sprache/Language: [Ist der Talk auf Deutsch oder Englisch - Will you give the Talk in German or English]
Uhrzeit und Datum/Time and date: [Uhrzeit und Datum ergänzen - Add the time and date]
Raum des Vortrags/Room: [Raum ergänzen - Information wird vom Betreuer nach Absprache des Termins bereitgestellt - add the location where the talk will be given]
Kurzzusammenfassung/Abstract: [Kurze Zusammenfassung der Arbeit ("Abstract") in der Sprache des Vortrags - provide a short abstract of the talk]
The talk will be added to the calender "Internship" (see below).
We use only this calendar to announce the practical phase seminar talks. There will be NO announcements concerning any talks via the mailing lists in the future.
So please use one of the following options to keep you updated:
- If you have an Google Account, you can add the calendars to yours. Then you can also activate mail notifications to be automatically informed on updates.
- If not (and you do not want to create one) you could also always check the UMTL webpage
Further information and regulations
Companies that already accepted students or having open positions for internships
Representative for the practical phase
Tel: 0681/85775 5115